|Jan 3 – 2010||Preschool
||Jesus’ Baptism (Mark 1)||Jesus was baptized by John.|
Prepared by: Teresa Klassen
Ten Little Ideas of things to do
- In any order – just pick which things seem to work on Sunday.
You may do just a couple of things, or maybe you will do them all!
1. Free time
2. DVD of Jesus Baptism (Title: “John The Baptist” from Read & Share series) ( 3 mins)
3. Story Time (Retelling the story using the Beginner’s Bible – page 310 to 315)
4. Story with Actions:
Let’s hear about something special that happened when Jesus was all grown up.
Jesus was walking near a river. (Let your fingers make walking motions and have the children copy you)
The river made splashing noises. (Make splashing noises)
Jesus saw His friend John baptizing people. That means that he was carefully helping people go under the water (hold your nose, pretend you are going under the water)
and come up again. (raise your arms as if you came up out of the water)
It was not a game. It was a way to show other people that they wanted to follow God and do what He wanted.
Jesus told John that He wanted to be baptized. So, John baptized Him (Make a splash noise).
When Jesus came up from the water, a special bird flew down (wrap your thumbs together and flap your fingers like a bird).
Then, God said in a loud voice (put hands by your mouth) “This is my Son, Jesus, who I love and am very pleased with.”
When Jesus was baptized, it was a way to show everyone that He was obeying God and following God.
5. This is what Baptism looks like!
With a bowl of water and a lego person say, “this is what it looked like when Jesus was Baptized. Jesus walked into the River and he went under the water and up again…that is what it was like when Jesus was baptized” – demonstrate this and then let each child have a try and say the same thing as each child tries this.
6. Simple Music
Play CD of Music about God’s Love:
- Jesus Loves Me, do the actions to the song with the kids
7. Craft Picture – have the kids glue the “water” on the paper (a piece of blue paper) and then glue Jesus in the water being baptized by John
8. Bible memory: We are memorizing John 3:16 in the older classes…so have the little ones learn the first part using the pictures provided…
“God (so) loves the world!”
10. Coloring Page of Jesus being baptized
Teachers, I am asking that at the end of every lesson you have all the children sit quietly while you pray over them. You do not have to use these words below…but they are from the bible and you could certainly add them to whatever you pray. Let us not miss the opportunity to impart a spiritual blessing on each child.
“I pray this blessing over each one of you.
Each of you is precious in God’s sight.
God sees you every minute of every day and he loves you.
I pray that you will come to know and love Jesus with all your heart for all your days.
May the Lord bless you and protect you.
May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.