May 9 — 2010
K and 1
Proverbs 23:25 So give your parents joy!
Expressing gratitude to our parents
Prepared by: Teresa Klassen
1. How Long Of A List? (8 minutes)
* Teachers, we need to treat this with sensitivity, because not every child has a relationship with his/her mom – or even their parents for that matter. So I have tried to word this in a way that is inclusive to all children.
Teacher: How old are you? (let kids call out their ages or pick a few to tell you how old they are). When you are 4 or 5 or 6 it means you need someone to take care of you right? You can do a lot of things for yourself, but you can’t do everything. That means that you need an adult or two to help you. For a lot of you, that means you have a mom and dad who help you; some of you might be living with an Aunt or Uncle or Grandma or Grandpa who help you. Whoever those people are, they are working hard to help you as you grow up.
Have you ever thought about all the things they do to make your life awesome? I’ll bet it is a pretty long list. Let’s see how long of a list we can make of all the things they do for you!
Have the kids tell you all the things their parents/caregivers do for them, write them in big words on the paper provided and see how long you can make the list – to give them a visual of how fortunate they are.
Wow! That is a long list. When someone does all these things for us, it makes us pretty happy doesn’t it? But I wonder, can we do something back? Can you do something at your age – age 4 or 5 or 6 – to bring your mom or dad or aunt or Grandma joy?
The Bible says in the book of Proverbs, “So give your parents joy!” I wonder how we can do that?
Well, one of the ways we can do that is by being very thankful. (Teacher, if you have kids you can also personalize this by saying, “I know for me, as a mom/dad, when my kids say ‘thank-you’ to me, it gives me a lot of joy.”)
2. A Story About Being Thankful (5 minutes)
Teacher: I want to tell you a story from the Bible about 10 people who asked Jesus for something…
Use the flashcards to tell the story of the 10 lepers.
Questions: Jesus really did care for those men who were sick. How do you think it made him feel when 9 of them did not say thank you?
How do you think it made him feel when one did come back and say thank you?
When we show thanks to God for the good things He has done for us, it brings Him so much joy.
In the same way, when we say thank you to the people who are helping us as we grow up – that brings them lots of joy too!!
3. Saying “Thank you” rocks! (Activity) (gratitude fills us up again) (8 minutes)
Teacher: See these rocks in here, they all have hearts on them. On the outside of this bucket is a big heart. Let’s pretend that this heart is your mom’s heart…or if you are being raised by your auntie or Grandma, it is their heart.
Every time she does something for you, she gives you a little bit of herself. I am going to show you this and I am going to give you one of these rocks to hold. But you must hold it nicely and quietly in your hand because you are going to do something with it in a minute.
(as you say each thing, give one of the rocks to one of the children)
- Gives you a hug, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Cooks you a meal, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Washes your clothes, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Tucks you in at night, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Takes care of you when you are sick, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Makes a meal for you, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Reads you a story, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Drives you to your friend’s house, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Throws you a birthday party, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Helps you clean your room, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Cleans up after you, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Listens to you tell a story, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Helps you with your school work, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Gives you ideas, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Fixes something of yours that is broken, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Plays a game with you, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Packs you a lunch, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Gives you a surprise gift, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Rubs your back, she is giving you a bit of her heart
- Gives up doing something she’d like to do, so that you can have fun instead, she is giving you a bit of her heart
Now look….the bucket is empty isn’t it?
Sometimes when you give a lot to others, your heart can begin to feel a little bit like it needs filling up again.
One of the ways we can fill our special moms or aunties or Grandma’s hearts up with love and joy again is just by being really thankful for everything she does. So now, I want you to come and put these rocks back in the bucket and as you do, say “thank you” to remind you that you should be saying this to her lots, and lots and lots.
Have the children do this.
When you go home today, if you want to take a rock home to remind you to say thanks to your moms/aunties/Grandma’s you can…and if they ask you what the rock is for, you can tell them it is to remind you to say thank you.
4. I Want To Say Thank You (The Thank You Book) (15ish minutes)
Little books with about 8 pages. Pages should be a little bigger than the pictures they glue into them. Front cover should say “To________” and “Thank you for…” and the back cover should say “I wanted to bring you some joy today by saying thank you for all you do for me!” and then “From_____”. Also, have some little clear gift bags, ribbon and a few chocolates. When the kids are done these things can go in the bag for their moms. And Tie the top with the ribbon)
Teacher: Remember, the verse in proverbs says that children should give their parents joy. Today is a good day to so thank you to your parents and especially to your mom because it is Mother’s Day today. Not everyone has a mom living at home, so maybe a special lady in your life is an Auntie or a Grandma or a good friend who loves you so much. You can say thank you to them!
Today is a day to be thankful for that special lady in your life who is helping you to grow up in a good way.
We have some little books (show them the book). On the front it says “To________” and there is where you can print mom or another name. And then the title says “Thank You for…”
Then we have all these little pages you can glue into your book. You pick the ones you are most thankful for. You won’t be able to pick all the pictures, there are more pictures than pages. So pick the ones that show things that are done for you that you are most thankful for.
Then on the back page it says, “I wanted to bring you some joy today by saying thank you for all you do for me!” you can write your name on the line, or we can help you if you need it.
Give the children time to make their little books and then have them put them in the gift bags and tie with the ribbon.
5. Bible verse for this month
The Bible says that you as children should bring your parents joy! We want to listen to the Bible’s instructions! Let’s see if you can remember the verse we learned last week. You can use these sheets on the wall to help remind you (they have cue cards on the wall…you will need to go over them a few times first)
Psalm 119:33: “Teach me, O Lord, to follow your instructions and I will keep them!”
6. Prayer and Free-Time
Take the time to pray with the children and over them.
If the weather is nice, let them enjoy the yard (please make sure you have someone supervising) but make sure they clean up before they leave the yard. If children are inside as well you will need someone inside and outside.
Since our building is used for many different things, we need to make sure we clean up after ourselves. You can definitely have the kids help you do this near the end of the morning!!
- Please use the BAG provided to put all the left-over items into it, and then you can leave your bag in the classroom.
- Please pick up all the garbage and put it in the trash
- If there are chairs or stools, please fold or stack them and put them away
- Please turn the heat down (applicable for youth room and Gazebo) to 10 degrees
- Please make sure any TVs/DVDs/Projectors are powered off
- Please make sure all toys are put away
Thank you so very much!