|June 6 — 2010||K-1
||Various, on the topic of Baptism||Old Me/New Me|
Prepared by: Teresa Klassen
Introduction (3-5 minutes)
I have a Paper Bag here filled with stuff and then two more bags here with the words “Old Me” and this one says, “New Me”
In the first bag filled with all this stuff I have some things that you would have used when you were really little, and then I have things that you use now that you are bigger.
What I need you to do is to help me separate them – make a decision about each item and whether they should go in the Old Me Box or the New Me bag.
- Teacher, items for the “Old Me” will reflect things from early childhood (like soothers, bottles, blankets, diapers…) items for the “New Me” will be things they would be currently into (like more mature toys, a movie, a book they could read, a cup instead of a bottle…etc.)
Teacher concludes: There comes a time when you want your parents to know that you are big, right? You are done with your soother, you are done with your baby-bottle, you are ready to move on. One day you decide you are going to get dressed by yourself. You tell your mom, “I’m big now. I am going to dress myself.” Sometimes you look a little funny, but you manage to get your shirt on and your pants and your socks. It’s a new day. In your old life you needed help getting dressed, but now that you are a little older you dress yourself. Dressing yourself is a part of the “New Me”.
Drama-Sketches (10 minutes)
Teacher: As we are growing up we make decisions all the time and we put things in these two bags all the time. Some things are a part of the old you, and some things are a part of the new you. You will continue to do this for your whole life long.
What we are going to do now is listen to a few little dramas to help us understand this.
(You will need 2 people who can read for each drama)
Drama 1 – Unhealthy Versus Healthy
Person 1: (Pretend you are eating a bowl of cereal)
This sugary cereal is sooooo awesome. I love “Choco-cornpop-fruity-sugar-coated-air-flakes”. They make my teeth feel fuzzy!!! Yum!
Announcer: (Use a TV announcer voice) And now for an announcement from our sponser. Hey kids, do you want to live a long and healthy life? Do you want to feel good and have energy? Then instead of eating sugar-cereals, make a healthy choice. Why not have a bowl of strawberries and yogurt instead? It still tastes great, but it’s really good for you!
Person 1: Hmmm. I do want to feel good and have energy. I am going to make a choice about the food I eat. I am going to choose the fruit instead.
Teacher: OK. So what was a part of this person’s old life?
Get kids to respond: eating unhealthy food
Teacher: What is a part of their new life?
Get kids to respond: eating healthy food
Drama 2 – Gossip Vs. Not Gossiping
Person 1: (Act like you have a juicy piece of gossip) Hey, I want to tell you something about that kid over there. Don’t tell anyone else, but I know something that they did that is really stupid!
Person 2: Hmmm. You know, I used to always talk about kids behind their back like this, but it would really bug me if I knew people were talking behind my back. So…no. I don’t really want to know.
Teacher: OK, so what was a part of this person’s old life?
Get kids to respond: gossiping
Teacher: What is a part of their new life?
Get kids to respond: not gossiping.
Drama 3 – Selfish Vs. Serving
Person 1 and 2 say at the same time: I get the last cookie!
Person 1: I said it first!
Person 2: I said it first!
Person 1: You always get the last cookie, it’s not fair!
Person 2: (Thinking) Is it really such a big deal if they get the last cookie? I don’t have to have it.
Person 1: What are you thinking about?
Person 2: You know what? You can have the last cookie. I don’t mind letting you have it. I can have something else.
Teacher: OK, what was going on here? What do you think was a part of his/her old life (pointing to person 2)
Get kids to respond: always having to have his/her own way; selfishness
Teacher: What is a part of their new life?
Get kids to respond: not being selfish; serving someone else or being kind to someone else.
Old Me/New Me (10 minutes)
Jesus talked about how we have an old life and a new life in the Bible. Our old life happens before we invite Jesus to lead our life. Our new life happens when we begin to follow Jesus.
Let’s try to figure out some things that are a part of a person’s old life before they decide to follow Jesus.
You will have a poster that has two people drawn on it
The left side will say “Old Me” and the right side will say “New Me”
As a teacher, just walk through the cards with the kids and then have them tape the cards on the correct side of the poster.
- I have sin that isn’t forgiven
- My friendship with God is broken
- I am walking my own path without Jesus
- I am living for myself, selfishly
- I have not accepted Jesus free gift that saves me from my sin
- I don’t care if I lie or cheat or gossip
- I am not listening to Jesus or feeling His love for me
- I don’t think God created this world at all. I think it is all an accident and everything means nothing.
- I don’t give God any serious thought and I do not talk to Him.
- My sins are totally forgiven
- My friendship with God is awesome
- I am walking with Jesus as I live my life
- I love myself, I love God, and I love people around me
- I will live with God during this life, and after I die
- I have accepted Jesus free gift that saves me from my sin; Jesus died on the cross for me and I know it!
- I still sin sometimes, but I am sad about my sin and I come to Jesus and admit what I have done and try to make it right
- I listen to Jesus and He guides me
- I see God’s work in creation around me and I am amazed by His excellent work
- I think about how much Jesus loves me
- I talk to Jesus often about anything
Scripture/Teaching (8 minutes)
Teacher: When we follow Jesus, he shows us how to live in a new way. When we decide to follow Jesus, he says that we should do something very important. When we do this important thing, it shows people that we have decided to live in a new way.
Bible tells us there was a man named John who wanted to show people how to move from living life the old way (point to the left side of screen)…to living life the new way (point to the new way).
Let’s see what the Bible says…
READ: IN THE JORDAN RIVER from the Beginner’s Bible
When people were sorry for their sins they asked for God’s forgiveness and made a decision to live life in a new way by listening to God and obeying him. Then what did they do to show that they were following God? They were baptized.
What Is Baptism? (8 minutes)
Teacher: When you decide to live life in a new way, Jesus said, don’t wait for people to figure it out, tell them straight out.
In fact, Jesus even SHOWED us how to be baptized.
VIDEO: Show 1 minute video of Jesus being baptized.
Jesus thought that baptism would be a good way to show people that we have decided to live life a new way…because water washes us clean, doesn’t it? Jesus wanted to show us that our old life has been washed away, buried in the water, and when we come up, we are coming up to a new life. A new start, all cleaned up by God’s forgiveness.
It is like the water covers our old life (take the illustration you just used with the two people you taped words onto and pretend to put them under the water by covering them with a blue blanket) and what comes out of the water, is a brand new start (bring out the “new life” person to illustrate)
Baptism Craft (10 minutes)
Talk to the children about the Baptism Craft. It is a page with a water line and a string that runs vertically on the page with a figure of a boy or a girl on that string (it is movable on the string)
Teacher: In a few Sundays we are going to have church at Greenbay Bible Camp! When we are there, we are going to have a baptism. A number of people will be baptized. Now you will understand that when we are baptized we are telling people that we have decided to follow Jesus. The people you will see being baptized all want people to know that they have decided to follow Jesus. When we go under the water we are telling people that Jesus has washed away our sins and when we come up out of the water we are saying that we have decided to live life a new way, following Jesus.
Make the craft with the children.
Conclude (10 minutes)
Teacher: At the end of this month, instead of coming to this campus one Sunday, we are going to be going to Greenbay Bible Camp for the service. There will be Sunland – outside hopefully on the field – and there will be games and a picnic and all kinds of good stuff – AND there will be a baptism.
- We wanted to talk about baptism so that you will really understand what it is about. When you see people walking into the water, it is because they want to tell everyone that they are followers of Jesus.
- They want you to know that they are leaving old things behind and that they want to live a new life
- It doesn’t mean they are perfect, it just means they want to let Jesus keep washing them clean and showing them how to live God’s way
- Baptism may be something you want to talk to your parents about. Maybe it is something you want to do sometime in your life.
- If you are wanting to follow Jesus, it is an important part of our walk with him. It is something he asks us to do.
Close in prayer.