|Nov 22/09||Grade 2/3||Elisha & Naaman (1 Kings)||7 dips in the Jordan River – Like the little maid, we can point the way to God.|
Prepared by: Teresa Klassen
Introducing the big idea (3 Minutes – keep it moving so kids stay tuned in)
Today we are going to talk about a story from the Bible about a man named Elisha. Remember, last week we talked about Elijah and today we are going to talk about his friend Elisha (have the kids say that name with you). His story is found in the Bible in the book of Kings (show them where it is in the Bible). Elisha loved and served God and did many exciting things for God. Today we are going to learn about how he helped a man called Naaman find healing from a terrible sickness called Leprosy.
Have you ever heard about a sickness called Leprosy? In Bible times it was a very terrible sickness to get. It gave you white spots all over your skin and people were very afraid of those who had leprosy. So if you had leprosy you would hide yourself away and cover yourself up with your coat so no one could see you.
While I tell you the story of Elisha and Naaman…why don’t we pretend we have Leprosy spots like Naaman!
Activity: Pass around a few bowls with baby powder and cotton balls and let the kids make spots on their skin with the cotton ball. Tell them that you will all wipe of the powder when we hear about how Naaman was healed.
Elisha in the Bible – (2 minutes)
Read the story of Elisha and Naaman using the story pages I have copied, showing the children the pictures. When you get to the part where Naaman was healed, have the children wipe the powder off their skin.
Points to emphasize: Stop on page 210 and talk about the little girl who spoke up about Elisha. Explain that she was a servant in the house. She didn’t have to help Naaman, but she knew the one true God and Naaman did not. Even though she was just a young girl, by her telling Naaman to go and see Elisha, we will soon see that Naaman also come to know and love God! Even though you are little boys and girls, you can say things to people that will help them come to know and love God too! Continue with the story…
Points to emphasize: Stop on page 215 and say something like, “Isn’t it wonderful that Naaman was healed and because he was healed he came to know and love God? And all this happened because that little girl who worked for him told him to go and visit Elisha who was a great man of God.
Elisha DVD – (5 minutes)
Show the DVD on Elisha and Naaman.
Act It Out! – (3 minutes)
Divide the kids into five groups (they can choose their part), or if you have less children then you can have one child play the part (rather than a group)
Group 1: “Little Maids”
Group 2: “Captain Naamans”
Group 3: “Servants on Galloping Horses”
Group 4: “Elishas”
Group 5: “Jordan River Waves”
- Cleaning sponges for maids
- Powder to put spots on Naamans
- Shoe Strings for galloping horses
- Paper with the number 7 for the Elishas
- Blue streamers for the waves
Position the children so they are in 5 different areas
Tell the children that when you tell the story, they will act out their part
Naaman, the commander of the Syrian army, was a very happy man (tell Group 2 to look happy) until the day that he discovered he was a leper (make sure they have spots) and was going to DIE! Then he looked very sad (have them look sad)
There was young girl who was a maid in Naaman’s household who said, “I know someone who can help you” (have Group 1 say that). The little maid told Namaan about the Prophet Elisha, and Naaman traveled with his servants all the way to Damascus to meet with Elisha (have Group 2 and 3 act as if they are galloping on hourses, the shoestrings are the reins)
Elisha told Namaan to go wash in the Jordan river 7 times! (have Group 4 hold up their number 7s and point to the river)
But Namaan thought that was dumb! He shook his head and said, “No I won’t do that!” (have Group 2 do this action). He didn’t think the river Jordan was a very nice river and he just didn’t want to go and get wet! The Bible says he was very angry about it. He was just going to go home!
(Have the servants beg Nathan on their knees, hands together) Well, Naaman’s servants weren’t going to just let him turn around and go back home after coming all THIS distance! They gathered around him and respectfully pleaded with him: “If the prophet had told you to do some great thing, wouldn’t you have done it? How much more then should you listen to his words and simply go wash and be cured?”
So Naaman went down to the muddy Jordan River and began to dip himself into the water, as the prophet had told him to do. (Have the river wave their streamers and have the Naamans bend down 7 times as you count)
ONE…TWO…THREE… Nothing was happening.
Naaman muttered to himself, “This is NOT going to work.”
But, Naaman dipped one more time…SEVEN!
As he came up for a breath of air, his skin changed right before his eyes, into skin that looked like it belonged to a healthy little child, and he was –
How exciting! He was instantly cured from the leprosy that had plagued him. He wouldn’t die, after all! God healed Naaman!!!
Paper strips that say “Naaman obeyed God and was healed
Scotch Tape (to tape the paper onto the cup
Person cutout (one side happy, one side sad)
- Have the children color their cup blue, this represents the Jordan river
- Help them tape the paper onto the rim of the cup that says “Naaman obeyed God and was healed”
- Have them put a happy face on one side of Naaman (this is Naaman when he is healed)
- Have them put a sad face on the other side of Naaman
- Have them put spots on the sad side of Naaman
- Have them glue the popsicle stick to Naaman
- Demonstrate how they can tell the story of Naaman and dip Naaman in the Jordan 7 times, and then turn the stick to show how the spots disappeared and he was well!
We are memorizing this verse with actions for the SunLand Christmas Play so go over this several times – practice the signs, but also practice having the kids say it really nice and clear and loud!
Glory Raise hands just so they are ear height and wiggle your fingers
To God Now move hands higher so they are just above head height with both index fingers pointing up to God
In the highest Now raise hands as high as they go, palms up towards God, eyes looking up to the sky
And on earth Look forward again, and put fingers together to form a circle (an earth)
Peace! Both hands forward making the peace sign
Small Group Time & Little Snack
- The little maid really helped Naaman didn’t she? She helped Naaman find God. What are ways that we can help people find God? Here are some ways…
– By praying for them (explain how this helps people find God)
– By praying with them
– By forgiving others and asking for forgiveness, because this shows how God is also forgiving
– By showing love to people who other people might not be kind to
– By telling people our story about how we love God
– Other ideas?
Teachers, at the end of every lesson have all the children sit quietly while you pray over them. You do not have to use these words below…but they are from the Bible and you could certainly add them to whatever you pray. Let us not miss the opportunity to impart a spiritual blessing on each child.
“I pray this blessing over each one of you.
Each of you is precious in God’s sight.
God sees you every minute of every day and he loves you.
I pray that you will come to know and love Jesus with all your heart for all your days.
May the Lord bless you and protect you.
May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.
Clean up J
Please clean up the classroom as follows:
- Teachers, place all the extra lesson supplies, attendance clip-board, DVD’s etc. in the shopping Bag on the counter. Please bring the shopping bag to the Camp SunLand Room.
- Make sure any scrap paper etc. is picked up from the floor and anything stuck to the walls is put into the garbage.
- Make sure all the supplies you used are put away
- Make sure chairs look in order and the room looks neat.
- When the classroom is empty, please do a “once over” to make sure everything is put away.
- Please turn down the heat to “10” and turn off the lights
- Close and lock the doors