|Jan 24 — 2010||Preschool||Mark 4:1-9
The farmer sowing seed
|I want my heart to be open to Jesus|
Prepared by: Teresa Klassen
10 Little Things
- These can be done in any order…
- You might not get through all 10 things….
- Engage the children as much as you are able to (we gear the lessons for 3 year olds…so younger ones might just be ready to “listen in”)
1. Free Time
2. Read the story of the farmer sowing seed
– White Beginners Bible, page 342-347
3. Re-Tell the story with this Poster Activity
Read the following lines out loud and have them paste things on the poster (each section will have a square) when you tell each piece
1. A farmer planted some seeds in his field (put glue on the square with the farmer and have them paste the little “dots” – which you will call seeds – on that square)
2. Some seeds fell onto a pathway and the birds quickly ate them (put glue on the square with the pathway and seeds…then have them paste the birds on it)
3. Some of the seeds feel onto rocky ground where there wasn’t enough dirt. The seeds grew a bit, but they couldn’t keep growing and they couldn’t drink any water, so they became all droopy and thirsty and died (put glue on the square with the wilty plants and have the kids paste rocks on the square)
4. Some seed fell among the weeds.The weeds wouldn’t let the plant grow (put glue on the next square with the growing plants…have the kids glue weeds onto the square)
5. But some seeds fell on good dirt and the seeds grew into plants and they got enough water and sunshine and the plants grew very, very well. The farmer who planted the seeds was very, very happy that these plants grew up strong and healthy! (put glue on the square with the happy farmer, have the kids glue healthy plants onto the square)
4. Re-tell the story again, with this Action-Drama
Read the following lines out loud and do the actions, encouraging the children to do the actions with you. Tell the children that this is a story from the Bible.
A farmer planted some seeds in his field (pretend you have seeds in your hand and you are scattering them on the ground)
Some seeds fell onto a pathway and the birds quickly ate them (pretend you are a bird flying down and pick up the seeds and pretend to eat them, yum yum)
Some of the seeds feel onto rocky ground where there wasn’t enough dirt. The seeds grew a bit, but they couldn’t keep growing and they couldn’t drink any water, so they became all droopy and thirsty and died (look wilty and sad and sit on the ground and close your eyes)
(you can stay sitting) Some seed fell among the weeds (hold your arms up and wiggle your fingers like tall weeds). The weeds wouldn’t let the plant grow (put your hands on your head) so those plants died too (close your eyes and look sad)
(stay sitting, but sound very happy for this part) But some seeds fell on good dirt and the seeds grew into plants (stand up slowly) and they got enough water and sunshine (stretch out your arms) and the plants grew very, very well.
The farmer who planted the seeds was very, very happy that these plants grew up strong and healthy!
5. What kind of seed?
We will have some pictures to go with this, ask the children
- When the farmer plants flower seeds in the ground, what will grow? Flowers!
- When the farmer plants carrot seeds in the ground, what will grow? Carrots!
- When the farmer plants corn seeds in the ground, what will grow? Corn!
- When Jesus’ love is planted in our heart, what will grow in us? Love!
Show the craft to the children with the picture of Jesus waiting outside of their heart.
- Say, “Jesus says, can I come in?”
Show them how the heart opens up (like two little doors)
- Say: “Yes Jesus, you can come into my heart!”
Make this craft with them.
7. Memory Verse
– this is the last week of learning a portion of John 3:16 “God loves the world” – use the flash cards to help them remember the verse.
– Play the DVD about the farmer sowing seed (find on YouTube, or Read & Share (?))
“I pray this blessing over each one of you.
Each of you is precious in God’s sight.
God sees you every minute of every day and he loves you.
I pray that you will come to know and love Jesus with all your heart for all your days.
May the Lord bless you and protect you.
May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.
Since our building is used for many different things, we need to make sure we clean up after ourselves. You can definitely have the kids help you do this near the end of the morning!!
- Please use the BAG provided to put all the left-over items into it, and then you can leave your bag in the classroom.
- Please pick up all the garbage and put it in the trash
- If there are chairs or stools, please fold or stack them and put them away
- Please turn the heat down (applicable for youth room and Gazebo) to 10 degrees
- Please make sure any TVs/DVDs/Projectors are powered off
- Please make sure all toys are put away
Thank you so very much!