|Feb 14 — 2010||K-1
|Jesus’ love and care (the miracle with the man with the shriveled hand)|
Prepared by: Teresa Klassen
Introducing the big idea (5-8 Minutes)
Today is Valentine’s Day! What do we do on Valentine’s Day? (tell people we love them)
This is Jesus’ favorite thing to do as well! He loves to tell people that He loves them. He is telling you today that He loves you!!
Not only does Jesus tell people that He loves them, He shows them too. Today we are going to see how Jesus showed His love and care to people He met.
The First Aid Kit
Does anyone know what this is? (show the kids a first aid kit, have them guess what it is)
What kinds of things do we have in here? (begin taking items out and get ideas from the kids what the items are for, and add your own comments)
Why do we have all these things? (do help us get well, to make us feel better)
One of the ways our moms or dads show love to us is when we are sick, they try to help us get well. Or if we get a cut, they put a bandaid on…it is one of the ways they show love and care to us.
These are all very important things to have in our first aid kit, but there are a few things that are missing, and we are going to find out what those things are today…
Today we are going to talk about a man who was very sad. He lived a long time ago and he was a man who Jesus met.
The reason the man was sad, was because he had a hand that didn’t work. Show me your hands. Your hands seem to work just fine. But the man in today’s story had a hand that was all shriveled up; it didn’t work at all.
I wonder what it would be like to have a hand that didn’t work?
What If My Hand Didn’t Work? (8-10 minutes)
Only have kids who are comfortable with this activity do this next activity, the rest can hold their hand behind their back.
Jesus met a man a the synagogue – a synagogue is another kind of church – and this man had a hand that was all shriveled up. He couldn’t use that hand at all, and this was very sad for him. It made working very hard.
What would it be like if you didn’t have a hand that worked?
- Take the gauze and invite the kids to make a fist with the hand that they write or color with
- then go around and wrap that one hand with gauze hand and tape the bottom, around their wrist (be careful not to do it too tightly), tell them to keep their hands in a fist and not to wiggle their fingers
- Then walk them through a few obstacles:
- Cut out a shape with some scissors
- Zip up a jacket
- Read a book and turn the pages
- Color a picture
- Put a bandaid on
Get some feedback from the kids…
- Discuss whether they would miss having their other hand to work with.
- What would they find hard to do?
- How do you think other kids would treat them (if unkindly, stress how we should always be kind to everyone no matter what they look like or what kind of physical challenge they might have, because we want to be like Jesus, and Jesus was always kind and loving to others)
Conclude: The man in the story we are going to tell had a hand that didn’t work and there wasn’t anything the doctors could do, and there was nothing in the first aid kit that would help him.
Tell and Retell the story (8 minutes)
1. Read the story “Man with the Shriveled Hand” from the Purple Bible, pages
2. Watch the DVD “Man With the Shriveled Hand” (search on YouTube, sorry I lost the link)
Discuss and Stress the Main Point (5 minutes)
Discuss what might have been hard for the man with the shriveled hand.
- Would working have been hard?
- How about holding his children’s hand or picking them up?
- Or even taking a bath would have been hard.
- Do you think people would have made fun of him?
Conclude: There were a lot of people who were not very loving to the man, even the other people in that church said that Jesus shouldn’t heal the man while they were in church! They said do it on another day and in another place!!
But Jesus looked at the man with the hand that didn’t work and He didn’t make fun of Him
He cared about the man
He wanted to do something very loving for the man
He did something that was impossible for anyone else to do: he healed him – it was a miracle. A miracle is something only GOD can do!
What Else Do We Need in Our First Aid Kit? (5 minutes – keep this short)
* Create an activity sheet that has things that help people get better on it (pictures): crutches, bandaids, medicine, sleep, etc. and add a few others like the Bible and prayer
Hand out the Activity Sheets that are titled “Circle The Things That Can Help Us Get Well”
Divide the kids into two groups. Give the children felts and tell them to work by themselves and circle the things that can help us get well.
When it comes to the Bible and to the praying hands discuss the following:
Small Group Questions
In what ways can the Bible help us?
- We can read about what Jesus did for others and realize that He is so loving and caring, he wants to help us with our problems too!
- We can read how powerful Jesus is and He can also choose to heal us.
- We read that even if we aren’t healed, that Jesus promises to help us and to never leave us
- We read about how people should care about other people – Jesus is asking us to be like him and to care for others and help others.
What do the prayer hands remind us of?
- They remind us that Jesus said we can talk to him
- They remind us that Jesus says that we can ask him for things
- They remind us that Jesus is always listening
- They remind us that Jesus answers prayers
- They remind us that we can pray for our family and friends who have a need
Conclude: So what do I need to add to my First Aid Kit? (have the kids answer, “a Bible” and “Prayer”) – use the cut outs provided and add them to the kit.
Bandaid Olympics (3 minutes)
Just to get some of the wiggles out of the kids, use this quick game to have an outlet for all that energy.
- Take the 3 “Sick Man” pictures and put them at one end of the room.
- Then make 3 piles of bandaids
- And divide the kids into 3 groups
- Say that you are going to give them 2 minutes (time them) and only one person can run up at a time
- They need to peel the bandaid and stick the bandaid on the sick person
- When the timer is done, then count how many bandaids each group got on their man to see who came in 1st 2nd or 3rd
- Have these same groups sit down on the ground and say:
“Now we have a medal for you…kind of like the Olympic Medals…for playing our game. Some for first, some for second and some for third”
Explain what the medals say
- Hand out medals to kids and tell them they can’t eat the chocolate until they get home.
Memory Verse (5-8 Minutes)
* This is week 3 of this verse
John 14:6 “Jesus said “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.”
“Let’s practice how to spell “life” life using sign language.” Use the chart below to teach them
- Jesus (point up)
- Said (hands by mouth as if you are shouting)
- I am (point at yourself)
- The way (two hands pointing out, as if giving directions)
- The truth (make a T with your index fingers)
- And the life (spell out “life” with sign language…see how fast they can get)
Blessing (1 Minute)
Pray for the kids:
“I pray this blessing over each one of you.
Each of you is precious in God’s sight.
God sees you every minute of every day and he loves you.
I pray that you will come to know and love Jesus with all your heart for all your days.
May the Lord bless you and protect you.
May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace. Amen.”
Treat Bags for Valentines
Give each child a little treat bag when they are ready to leave (there are some extra if there are siblings who didn’t get one)
Since our building is used for many different things, we need to make sure we clean up after ourselves. You can definitely have the kids help you do this near the end of the morning!!
- Please use the BAG provided to put all the left-over items into it, and then you can leave your bag in the classroom.
- Please pick up all the garbage and put it in the trash
- If there are chairs or stools, please fold or stack them and put them away
- Please turn the heat down (applicable for youth room and Gazebo) to 10 degrees
- Please make sure any TVs/DVDs/Projectors are powered off
- Please make sure all toys are put away
Thank you so very much!