|March 14, 2010||Preschool||Mark 6:30-44||Jesus cared that the people would have something to eat. We thank Jesus for our food!|
Prepared by: Teresa Klassen
Ten Little Ideas of things to do
- In any order – just pick which things seem to work on Sunday.
You may do just a couple of things, or maybe you will do them all!
1. Free Time
2. Part A: DVD
of Jesus Baptism (Title: “5 Loaves”) ( 2 mins)
This is the link I used:
* Alternative idea: Read and share DVD story 12 – we have used this before but it will be a good reinforcement of those lessons, and it has today’s lesson as a part of it.
3. Part B:
At the end of this DVD there is a little song about thankfulness and it really fits what we are trying to teach – the idea of giving thanks for our food. There is a little clapping part that they can participate in (they won’t be able to learn the song this quickly, but you can clap on the clapping parts. The words are on the screen, along with the clapping parts.) If you want to see this ahead of time here is the link:
* Alternative idea: Play the song “He’s got the whole world in His hands” and sing it with the children with actions:
“He’s got the whole world in his hands” (make a circle with your arms, and then show your hands)
“He’s got the tiny bitty baby, in his hands” (Pretend to rock a baby in your arms, and then show your hands”
“He’s got you and me brother [you and me sister] in his hands” (point at them, point at yourself, and then show your hands)
Repeats, “He’s got the whole world in his hands”
4. Story Time:
“The Big Picnic” (Retelling the story using the Beginner’s Bible – page 374)
5. Retell the story with actions:
First, have the children who want to participate sit in a circle and introduce themselves like this: “My name is ________ and Jesus loves me!”
Then tell the story along with the actions as indicated, have the children copy you:
- So many people came to see Jesus, more than this many (hold up 1 finger)
- So many people came to see Jesus, more than this many (hold up 2 fingers)
- So many people came to see Jesus, more than this many (hold up 5 fingers)
- So many people came to see Jesus, more than this many (hold up 10 fingers)
- So many people came to see Jesus, more than this many (close and open your hands many times to show many, many fingers)
- They were so hungry (rub your tummy)
- But there wasn’t any food (shake your head)
- Where would Jesus get enough food to feed so many people? (hold up your hands like you are asking a question)
- A little boy had 2 little fish (put your hands together and make them swim like a fish)
- The same little boy had 5 loaves of bread (hold up 5 fingers)
- Was that enough food to feed so many people? No! (shake your head)
- But Jesus can do miracles, he prayed over the little fish and the little bit of bread (put your hands together like you are praying)
- And suddenly there were many many baskets of bread, so much food for everyone, yay! (clap)
- When people ate their food, they said, “Thank you Jesus for our food!” (put your hands together like you are praying)
- When we eat our food we say, “Thank you Jesus for our food!” can you say that with me? (have the children put their hands together like they are praying and say “Thank you Jesus for our food”)
6. Jesus gave food to everyone! – Poster Activity
There will be a poster on the wall with Jesus over on one side with an envelope pasted under him. In the envelope are little squares with bread and fish. Have the children get a square, help them put glue on it. On the other half of the poster there are people. Have the children take the food they got from Jesus and have them paste it onto the hands of the crowd of people so that each person gets fed by Jesus.
7. Craft Picture
– have the kids glue 5 pieces of bread and 2 fish into their little basket. The paper says, “Thank you Jesus for our food.”
8. Bible memory:
We are memorizing Hebrews 3:15 “Jesus said, I will never leave you.”
Tell the children, “This is a Bible and it is full of stories about Jesus and letters from Him to us.” Open the Bible and make it look as if you are reading, “The Bible tells us that Jesus said to you and to me, ‘I will never leave you.’”
Have the kids line up behind you and take them to different parts of the room and then stop and ask at each stop, “Will Jesus come with us over here? Yes! Jesus said, ‘I will never leave you!’”
After maybe 4 stops, say the same thing only when you say, “Jesus said” then ask, “What did Jesus say?” And help them remember the line, “Jesus said, I will never leave you!”
– Take some towels from the corner cupboard (lower) and spread them on the floor and say, “When Jesus fed so many people, they ate outside and had a picnic! Today we are going to have a picnic too!” Use the little Dixi Cups in the Lil Rascals Cupboard and put some crackers in the cups and have a picnic with the kids.
Before you have your snack, have the children all fold their hands and say a prayer with you, “Thank you Jesus for this food”
Teachers, at the end of every lesson try to have the children sit quietly while you pray over them. You do not have to use these words below…but they are from the Bible and you could certainly add them to whatever you pray. Let us not miss the opportunity to impart a spiritual blessing on each child.
“I pray this blessing over each one of you.
Each of you is precious in God’s sight.
God sees you every minute of every day and he loves you.
I pray that you will come to know and love Jesus with all your heart for all your days.
May the Lord bless you and protect you.
May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.
Since our building is used for many different things, we need to make sure we clean up after ourselves. You can definitely have the kids help you do this near the end of the morning!!
- Please use the BAG provided to put all the left-over items into it, and then you can leave your bag in the classroom.
- Please pick up all the garbage and put it in the trash
- If there are chairs or stools, please fold or stack them and put them away
- Please turn the heat down (applicable for youth room and Gazebo) to 10 degrees
- Please make sure any TVs/DVDs/Projectors are powered off
- Please make sure all toys are put away
Thank you so very much!