|Jan 17 — 2010||Grade 2-3
Part Two: Become fishers of men
|We want to introduce Jesus to other people.|
Prepared by: Teresa Klassen
Introducing the big idea (5 Minutes)
Have the kids stand in a circle.
Say, “Today, I would like us to introduce ourselves to the class. This is what we are going to do…”
- Have them say their name and something they like that begins with the same letter as their name (a food or a color or a movie…whatever they can think of).
- When you move to the next person they have to say the name of the person who just spoke and what they like, and then their own name and what they like by saying something like this (example): “This is my friend Sierrah, she likes Sandwiches. My name is Colson, I like Cars”
- Go around the circle this way, only you need to remember all the people who came before you! ** If you have a very small group, you might want to make it tougher by coming up with 2 or 3 things that begin with the same letter before moving on to the next person.
Transition (2 Minute)
Thank you for introducing yourselves to the class. It was nice to hear your name and something you liked. Now that I know those things, it makes me feel like I know you a little bit better. Now if someone new comes to class, I can introduce you to them and say, (give them some examples of what you just heard) “This is ___________ and he/she likes______________”
Just like we introduce new friends, Jesus wants to introduce Him as a new friend to people that you know!
He wants us to tell people about Him so that they understand how much he loves Him; just like our Bible verse says, God loves the whole world! And he wants us to introduce him to everyone!
Bible Story (5-8 Minutes)
* Items needed: Story
Last week we talked about how Jesus went to the Sea of Galilee – remember, you made a big lake and you had boats and nets – and we learned how Jesus asked people to follow Him just like he asks us to follow Him. We talked about how Jesus is kind to people, and so we should be kind too. We talked about how Jesus helped people, and how we should help too.
Today we are going to listen to that same story again…but this time, we are going to learn about something ELSE Jesus said.
- Read them the story “Fishers of Men” pages 296-297
- End with the statement – “Fish were very, very important to Peter and Andrew, James and John. All day they fished and filled their boat with fish and sold their fish in the market. Their whole life was about fish. When Jesus said, ‘I will make you fishers of men’ – what he was saying was that people were more important than fish. Jesus said, instead of spending all your time catching fish, I want you care about people and introduce me to them…”
Jesus loves my friends! (5-8 Minutes)
- Construction paper, fish, heading (“Jesus loves my friends”), nets, glue, stapler
Just as Jesus talked to his friends about making sure that they cared about people more than any other thing, and that they would see how important it was to introduce Jesus to the people they would meet. Jesus is asking us to do the same. Jesus loves your friends and neighbors very, very much. Let’s think about our friends today and write their names on these fish to remind us that we also are to be “fishers of men.”
- Have the kids write the names of friends they know or kids from their classroom onto the fish
- While they are doing that, use the nets from our story-telling time and staple them onto the construction paper.
- Have the kids glue their “heading” onto the net, and then glue the fish onto the net as well (make sure they also print their own name on the paper or on a fish as well)
Just as Jesus talked to his friends about making sure that they cared about people more than any other thing, and that they would see how important it was to introduce Jesus to the people they would meet. Jesus is asking us to do the same. Jesus loves your friends and neighbors very, very much.
How Can I show God’s Love to my friends? (5-8 minutes)
* Teachers: The important part of this section is to go after the idea of “developing friendships” – we can’t really be fishers of men if we don’t know people and don’t know how we can show God’s love to them…
Jesus says, follow me and I will make you fishers of men…
One of the ways we can do this is by taking our friendships seriously and trying to really be a good friend to people. You can be with people but not even really know them…but Jesus says, “really get to know people…because that way you will know how you can serve them and care for them.”
Part of being a good friend is being a good listener; if you listen to people, you get to know their story and you also know what you can do to care for them…
- Put the kids in partners
- Have them think of a time that they were sad
- Give them 1 minute (or less) so that the one partner can tell the story of when they were sad – the other person’s job is to really listen
- Then stop the class and have the listener tell the story as they heard it
- Then ask each listener, “If you had been there at the time…how could you have been a friend to them, showing them God’s love?”
Then switch and have the other partner do the same…
Learning to be a good listener is one way we can be an excellent friend to people and get to know them. Jesus was an awesome listener. He was interested in people and wanted to know their stories. He wanted to hear them and help them, and we want to follow Jesus by being like him.
The Fish (Memory Verse)! (5 Minutes)
* Items needed: Bible verse fish, string clips
Remind the kids of our memory verse for the month (John 3:16)
- Now take the fish that have been provided and spread them around the room in no particular order
- Divide the kids into two groups and tell them the challenge is to find the right fish to clip to the string in the right order and see who can win at this.
- On the wall there will be a couple of strings with clothespins. The kids need to find the right fish for the clips and then clip the fish to the right clothespin with the WORDS THAT ARE PASTED ON THE FISH TO THE OUTSIDE (so they can be seen)
- The words spell out our memory verse.
Snack & Blessing (1 Minute)
- Items needed: Fishy crackers
Pray for the kids:
“I pray this blessing over each one of you.
Each of you is precious in God’s sight.
God sees you every minute of every day and he loves you.
I pray that you will come to know and love Jesus with all your heart for all your days.
May the Lord bless you and protect you.
May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.
Give the kids a cup of fish.
Since our building is used for many different things, we need to make sure we clean up after ourselves. You can definitely have the kids help you do this near the end of the morning!!
- Please use the BAG provided to put all the left-over items into it, and then you can leave your bag in the classroom.
- Please pick up all the garbage and put it in the trash
- If there are chairs or stools, please fold or stack them and put them away
- Please turn the heat down (applicable for youth room and Gazebo) to 10 degrees
- Please make sure any TVs/DVDs/Projectors are powered off
- Please make sure all toys are put away
Thank you so very much!