|Jan 17 — 2010||Grade 4-6||Mark 1:14-21
Part Two: Become fishers of men
|We want to introduce Jesus to other people.|
Prepared by: Teresa Klassen
Introducing the big idea (5 Minutes)
Have the kids stand in a circle.
Say, “Today, I would like us to introduce ourselves to the class. This is what we are going to do…”
- Have them say their name and something they like that begins with the same letter as their name (a food or a color or a movie…whatever they can think of).
- When you move to the next person they have to say the name of the person who just spoke and what they like, and then their own name and what they like by saying something like this (example): “This is my friend Sierrah, she likes Sandwiches. My name is Colson, I like Cars”
- Go around the circle this way, only you need to remember all the people who came before you! ** If you have a very small group, you might want to make it tougher by coming up with 2 or 3 things that begin with the same letter before moving on to the next person.
Transition (2 Minute)
Thank you for introducing yourselves to the class. It was nice to hear your name and something you liked. Now that I know those things, it makes me feel like I know you a little bit better. Now if someone new comes to class, I can introduce you to them and say, (give them some examples of what you just heard) “This is ___________ and he/she likes______________”
Just like we introduce new friends, Jesus wants to introduce Him as a new friend to people that you know!
He wants us to tell people about Him so that they understand how much he loves Him; just like our Bible verse says, God loves the whole world! And he wants us to introduce him to everyone!
Bible Story (5-8 Minutes)
* Items needed: Story
Last week we talked about how Jesus went to the Sea of Galilee – remember, you made a big lake and you had boats and nets – and we learned how Jesus asked people to follow Him just like he asks us to follow Him. We talked about how Jesus is kind to people, and so we should be kind too. We talked about how Jesus helped people, and how we should help too.
Today we are going to listen to that same story again…but this time, we are going to learn about something ELSE Jesus said.
- Read them the story “Fishers of Men” from the Bible, Mark 1:16-18
- End with the statement – “Fish were very, very important to Peter and Andrew, James and John. All day they fished and filled their boat with fish and sold their fish in the market. Their whole life was about fish. When Jesus said, ‘I will make you fishers of men’ – what he was saying was that people were more important than fish. Jesus said, instead of spending all your time catching fish, I want you care about people and introduce me to them…”
How Can I show God’s Love to my friends? (5-8 minutes)
* Teachers: The important part of this section is to go after the idea of “developing friendships” – we can’t really be fishers of men if we don’t know people and don’t know how we can show God’s love to them…
* 3D is an idea borrowed from Willow Creek’s “Just Walk Across The Room” course
Jesus says, follow me and I will make you fishers of men…
To help you remember this, we are going to talk about something called “Living in 3D” – have you ever watched a 3D movie? (get them to tell you their stories if they have). Everything seems really colorful and alive and close…it feels like you are right in the movie.
Well, this is what Jesus asks us to be like…be noticeable in the world, be close to people, be in people’s lives so that when you act like Jesus would…people will ask, what makes you different? And you will have a chance to tell them about your friend Jesus.
So…living in 3D…here are some 3D glasses to help you remember this (give cardboard 3D glasses to the kids. I found mine at a Dollar Store and made a sticker for each one that had the 3D words on them)
Divide the kids into 3 groups, they will represent each one of the D’s
Group 1: Develop Friendships
Put people together in this group who probably wouldn’t know each other well. Their assignment will be to introduce themselves and tell the group
1. How old they are
2. Where they were born
2. What school they go to
3. What they like to do in their free time
Conclusion: It is important to be open to meeting new people and to want to get to know them. There are lots of people in the world who are just looking for friends, and as people who want to follow Jesus…we need to be the ones who care enough about people to just want to make friends. So, the first D in living in 3D is developing friendships.
Group 2: Discover people’s stories
This group’s assignment is to discover as many great stories as they can from within the group, stories that other people might not know…they need to ask each other questions and then they will need to tell the group those stories. Their question is:
1. What is something that happened to you that made you really sad or really happy?
Conclusion: Jesus asks us to be good listeners. To really know people. To be curious about other people’s lives. So the second D in living in 3D is discover people’s stories.
that way you will know how you can serve them and care for them.”
Group 3: Decide on next steps
Jesus never wants us to force Jesus on anyone. We are to treat people respectfully. That’s why in this next step Jesus asks us first to pray to him and ask, “how can I introduce you to my friend” and to just listen to His ideas about what to do next.
Some things Jesus asks us to do will be small things like, “Just be caring. Bring them a meal. Send them a card. Help them do a job around the house that they need help with.” Other times it might mean a conversation where you are able to tell them about your friendship with Jesus. Sometimes it might mean an invitation to church or youth group…the main thing is that you don’t treat people like they are some kind of project!! Jesus LOVES YOUR FRIENDS and our job is just to be open to Jesus using us to show his love to them.
So…this next D in the 3D process is to Decide on next steps
This group needs to think of some good next steps for these friendships (described below):
- Your friend broke his foot. What would be a “step you could take” to show Jesus’ love to him?
- Your friend’s parents are getting a divorce. What would be a “step you could take” to show Jesus’ love to her?
- Your friend got the highest mark in Math in the class. What would be “a step you could take” to show Jesus’ love to him?
- A kid who is new to the school is sitting by herself during lunch. What would be a “step you could take” to show Jesus’ love to her?
- Your teacher is really having a rotten day because he is sick and stressed out. What would be a “step you could take” to show Jesus’ love to him?
The Fish (Memory Verse)! (5 Minutes)
* Items needed: Bible verse fish, string clips
Remind the kids of our memory verse for the month (John 3:16)
- Now take the fish that have been provided and spread them around the room in no particular order
- Divide the kids into two groups and tell them the challenge is to find the right fish to clip to the string in the right order and see who can win at this.
- On the wall there will be a couple of strings with clothespins. The kids need to find the right fish for the clips and then clip the fish to the right clothespin with the WORDS THAT ARE PASTED ON THE FISH TO THE OUTSIDE (so they can be seen)
- The words spell out our memory verse.
Snack & Blessing (1 Minute)
- Items needed: Fishy crackers
Pray for the kids:
“I pray this blessing over each one of you.
Each of you is precious in God’s sight.
God sees you every minute of every day and he loves you.
I pray that you will come to know and love Jesus with all your heart for all your days.
May the Lord bless you and protect you.
May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.
Give the kids a cup of fish.
Since our building is used for many different things, we need to make sure we clean up after ourselves. You can definitely have the kids help you do this near the end of the morning!!
- Please use the BAG provided to put all the left-over items into it, and then you can leave your bag in the classroom.
- Please pick up all the garbage and put it in the trash
- If there are chairs or stools, please fold or stack them and put them away
- Please turn the heat down (applicable for youth room and Gazebo) to 10 degrees
- Please make sure any TVs/DVDs/Projectors are powered off
- Please make sure all toys are put away
Thank you so very much!