||Exodus 20||10 Commandments – God’s Excellent Way To Live|
Prepared by: Teresa Klassen
Introducing the big idea (3 Minutes – keep it moving so kids stay tuned in)
We have been learning many things about God’s people. Moses was God’s friend.
He helped the people follow God.
One day while they were in the hot desert, God told Moses to climb up a special
mountain. Moses climbed and climbed the mountain. (Make climbing motions)
When he got to the top, He saw lots of smoke. God spoke to Moses through the
Let’s see what that might have been like
Moses and the 10 Commandments DVD – (2 minutes)
There are some good links on YouTube. Here is one you might try (it will need a little set-up): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG-BFIpkSXA&feature=related
God told Moses 10 excellent rules that the people should follow. Who can count to 10 here?
Now, let’s see what the 10 important rules were.
The first 4 rules told the people to love God more than anything else. They also told
the people not to use God’s name in a bad way. It also helped the people see how important it was to go to church and worship God.
The next 6 rules were things to help people love others. God told us to respect our parents, tell the truth, be honest and not steal and not wish for things that other people had. All these rules are important because they help us love God and love others.
Ok…since we are talking about God’s excellent way to live…we are going to take a break and do something eggggg-sellant.
Just For Fun – an Eggggg-sellant Relay – (2 minutes)
- Divide the kids into two teams
- Give each of them a tablespoon and a plastic egg
- When you say “Go”, send them from one end of the room to the other and back to let their next team-mate go
- It is a pretty quick game, just to get the wiggles out of the kids
Conclude: Eggg-sellant job. Now let’s keep talking about God’s excellent commandments and a cool way we can remember them:
10 Commandments Memory DVD – (3 minutes)
Try this great link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K4q22kMzm4
10 Commandments For Kids Game
- Divide the kids into two around the two tables.
- In the middle of the table the 10 commandments will be written out
- The Helper/Teacher will read a commandment
- There will be little pictures that go with each commandment (enough for each child), see if the children can match the pictures to the right commandment.
- They all can put their correct picture on top of the commandment
We found these pics on the internet, I don’t recall the exact site (they seem to be on a few) and will remove this if I am breaking some sort of copyright law: 10 command pics pdf
What’s The Problem?
What happens when we break God’s excellent rules?
Have a discussion time with the kids picking a few of the commandments as follows and get them to think about why God’s commandments are excellent
- One of God’s excellent commandments is “Do Not Lie” – why is it bad to lie? Why is it better to tell the truth?
- One of God’s excellent commandments is to “Obey (honor) your parents” – why is it bad to not obey your parents? Why is it better to obey your parents?
- One of God’s excellent commandments is to have a day of rest and to come and worship Him at church – why do you think God loves it when we come to sing to him and learn about him?
This is week one of the memory verse, so go over this in small steps, repetitively. We will do this for 3 weeks.
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27
This is an easy verse to put actions to.